This study proposes to analyse the working of World Malayalee Council as an organisation established under the charter of incorporation and functioning under the provisions of its byelaws, its ethical response, organisational discipline and progression towards attaining its goals and objectives. We look at the efficiency of the present structure to provide global leadership to the community by connecting the Malayalee diaspora spread across the globe. We also have to look into the administrative structure and democratic practices of World Malayalee Council (WMC) with a critical analysis of the membership pattern, global administrative structure, the working of the line of global authority, Regional administrative structure, the role of regional administration and its working, the coordination councils including Kerala Council which one of the pre merger groups has formulated. The Geographic and Demographic realities of the spread of Malayalee diaspora across the globe etc. are explained to understand the importance of a balanced representation of the diaspora across the globe.
The structural analysis and explanations are meant as a prologue for the General understanding of its administrative model, essential protocol, line of authority and the working patterns. This study is also meant to be a comprehensive proposal to the byelaws review committee for effectuating changes, to translate the synergy of unification of the two streams of WMC into an action model by effectively avoiding the administrative hindrances, removing the unproductive practices which were evolved at a time when two parallel organisations were working with the same name and structure, and thereby streamlining the channels of working pattern, into a coherent, unified organisation.
The conclusions of this study are the recommendations for the byelaws amendment for possible inclusion in the proposed amendments to the 2005 byelaws of World Malayalee Council. The relevant provisions of byelaws and other connected information are relegated to footnotes for brevity and ease of understanding.
SECTION I: Name of the Organization
The name of the organization shall be `WORLD MALAYALEE COUNCIL (WMC) a non-profit organization.
SECTION II: Address of the Organization will be that of the current President/Secretary General or as approved by Global Executive Council for Global set up/ Regional EC for regions/Province General Council.
SECTION I: World Malayalee Council: Charter
The initial Charter of the Corporation (WMC) and its subsequent merger are appended to these by- laws.
NOTE: The Charter of Incorporation of WMC [Appendix A] that was established in 1995 in the state of New Jersey, USA was dissolved in the year 2012 and merged to the WMC NJ Province Inc. as per the New Jersey state Law.[Appendix B]
The New Charter of WMC is at APPENDIX C… of these amended bylaws.
The Charter of WMC and articles therein shall prevail over every article in the by-laws in case of disputes or controversies
SECTION II:World Malayalee Council: ORGANIZATION `WORLD MALAYALEE COUNCIL (WMC) is a global Organization of People of Kerala origin and is a nonpartisan, non-sectarian global organization engaged in promoting the welfare and empowerment of Malayalees living across the globe, especially those who live outside the State of Kerala and those who have returned after working outside Kerala, by enhancing cooperation and communication among the Malayalee Diaspora and Malayalees living in Kerala.
SECTION III: World Malayalee Council.: TrusteesThe Board of Trustees shall be known in the Council and among its membership as Executive Council. Executive Council shall be the Board of Trustees of the World Malayalee Council
SECTION IV VISION & MISSION
Clause 01: VISIONWorld Malayalee Council aims at creating a dynamic link between the Malayalee Diaspora and the motherland to enhance and empower the Social Capital of the community, inculcating the core values of Diversity, and Excellence.
Clause 02: MISSIONWorld Malayalee Council shall be working closely with the people of Kerala origin across the globe for effectively promoting their integration, exchange, cooperation, empowerment and recognition through innovative programs, projects and institutions in the fields of economic, cultural and social empowerment to augment and channelize the Social capital of the Malayalee Community, by providing a thought leadership, for a productive and sustainable future.
SECTION I: Objectives
In keeping with the Vision & Mission statements and its overall purpose, World Malayalee Council shall have the following objectives:
1. To provide a meeting point for Malayalees living all over the World to open up new possibilities for their economic, political and social growth and to augment the social capital, inherited rich culture and values.
2. To facilitate a dynamic link between the Malayalee experience, expertise and entrepreneurship in the developing and the developed countries for the invigoration of the Malayalee Community at large, and the Kerala State in particular.
3. To seek out and recognize Malayalee Talents, Skills and Intelligence on a global level and mobilize them for the enhancement of Professional Development, Career Advancement, and Technological breakthrough.
4. To organize and network Malayalees of different age groups across the globe to constantly communicate, share and update their knowledge base.
5. To create a cultural awakening in the Malayalee Diaspora, scattered world-wide, and to instill in them the openness of culling out the cream of all cultures paving the way for a world harmony.
6. To co-operate with other Malayalee organizations, and communities in all countries, and the Governments to achieve the goals of WMC
7. To organize and work with the nonresident Malayalees and NRI/NRK organizations around the world to protect and promote property rights, civil rights, safety, security and rightful participation for them in Kerala and elsewhere.
SECTION II Directive Principles
01 WMC shall be an organization of Malayalee Diaspora living outside Kerala and those who have settled in Kerala after living outside Kerala for at least two years or people of Kerala who share the spirit of DIASPORA. WMC shall have special concern and import towards Problems and issues of Non Resident Keralites and those who returned to Kerala and shall support and promote welfare, developmental and charitable activities and initiatives for uplifting the economically backward groups or areas in Kerala.
02 WMC shall work as a secular nonpartisan, not – for profit organization
03. WMC shall encourage and promote inclusive and widest participation while ensuring responsible decision-making.
04 All WMC operations especially those involving financial dealings shall be fully transparent, inclusive and conducted in accordance with the best general accounting principles.
05 WMC members and officials shall not profit from WMC activities or use WMC as a forum to promote their self interests. Any incidental benefit, they may derive because of their position in WMC, shall be declared and reported to the respective Executive Council for verification of any conflict of interest.